WORLD ELECTRO DANCE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WORLD ELECTRO DANCE

The official forum of World-Electro-Dance.com by MAidioTec. Vidéos news of electro dance in all the world. Electro dance born in 2000 years in France with Tecktonik. Broadcast your-electro-self !!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bredon Hill Roman coins unveiled at Worcester museum

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr007

Bredon Hill Roman coins unveiled at Worcester museum Empty
PostSubject: Bredon Hill Roman coins unveiled at Worcester museum   Bredon Hill Roman coins unveiled at Worcester museum Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Bredon Hill Roman coins A selection of the coins will be on display at Worcester Museum from Saturday
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

* Large Roman coin hoard uncovered
* Frome Hoard put on public display
* Charity metal detector festival

A hoard of Roman artefacts unearthed in the Worcestershire countryside is to go on show at a museum in the county.

Local metal detector enthusiasts Jethro Carpenter, 43, and Mark Gilmore, 47, discovered more than 3,800 coins in a clay pot at Bredon Hill, near Evesham.

The Roman haul - the county's largest ever - is mainly bronze coins dating back to the 3rd Century.

Featuring 16 different emperors, many will be shown at Worcester City Art Gallery and Museum from Saturday.

The coins are currently being valued by the British Museum.

Mr Carpenter said: "As a child you watch pirate films and dream of finding buried treasure.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

As a child you watch pirate films and dream of finding buried treasure”

End Quote Jethro Carpenter

"On the day of the discovery my detector was down for no more than five minutes when it started to make a high-pitched noise. Even more excitingly, the screen flashed up 'overload'.

"Mark and I started digging and uncovered coin after coin. It was so exciting, my heart was racing."

Richard Henry, finds liaison officer for the county's Portable Antiquities Scheme, said the discovery was of national significance.

"The 3,784 coins span 38 years and are a fascinating little piece of history dating from a turbulent time during which the Roman Empire saw revolts rebellions, plague and invasions," he said.

It is believed the coins were buried in about 350 AD, almost a century after they were minted.

At this time there was a revolt involving the Dobunni and Cornovii tribes, based in the Welsh Marches.

"I've known Bredon Hill for 20 years and taken my metal detector there countless times, so never in a million years did I expect to come across such a find," Mr Carpenter said.

The hoard is being studied by the British Museum, after which the county coroner is expected to decide whether the find should be officially declared as treasure.

website design packages
usb analog io
Back to top Go down

Bredon Hill Roman coins unveiled at Worcester museum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WORLD ELECTRO DANCE :: Video and news from all country :: USA-
Jump to: